Cup success thanks to Trav’s timely ton

An excellent chase from the 1st team, helped by a welcome return to form from captain Travis Townsend, saw Greenmount past Norden in their rearranged Worsley Cup fixture writes SAM CHADWICK.

But a first league defeat of the season made sure of a mixed weekend for all senior teams.

The cup fixture was their second go at a trip to Norden, after rain put pay to any play at Stag Park last weekend.

Travis Townsend

Greenmount were asked to bowl at the toss, as Norden made their way to a competitive 238 all out from 46.2 overs.

Mitchell Owen top-scored for the home side with 65 from 56, while Townsend and Amal Dalugoda both took identical figures of 3 for 33.

Tom Heaton’s injury in the field meant for a re-shuffled Greenmount top order, with Dan Stevens stepping in to open with pro Jacques Snyman. Both were removed with only 37 runs on the board.

This brought Townsend to the crease, racking up 22 fours in his 115 from just 91 balls, ably backed up by Andy Kerr (37) and Danny Hornby (28).

Amal Dalugoda

By the time the captain was removed, just 12 runs were needed for the win. It was then an important 14 not out from Dalugoda that got them over the line.

Elsewhere on Saturday, there was an emphatic win for our third eleven as they continued their impressive form.

Batting first at home to Rawtenstall, they ran up an impressive total of 239 for 7 from 40 overs, going on to bowl their opponents out for just 68.

Mark Crowther

The stars of the show were captain Mark Crowther, with 71 from 66 balls, and the returning Simon Banks, who made a standout 89 from just 68 in his first innings of the season.

Left-arm spinner Noah Birtwistle took another three wickets in the second innings, carrying on his great start to the season with the ball.

In contrast, Sunday was a disappointing day for both first and second teams, with both falling short in run chases against Colne and Church, respectively.

Dan Stevens

At home, the first eleven fell 20 runs short of their revised target of 148 in a rain-curtailed game, having limited Colne to 164 all out.

Professional Jacques Snyman picked up 4 for 36 and there was another three wickets for Townsend in what was, at least, a strong bowling effort.

Greenmount finished on 128 for 8 from 31 overs in reply, with wickets being lost at regular intervals to arrest momentum. Opening the batting again, Dan Stevens made 29 with 5 fours and a six with Gav Nicholl also contributing 29 with 5 fours and Travis Townsend 23.

Gav Nicholl

The highlight of the match was perhaps Toby Leach’s debut for the side, stepping in at the eleventh-hour for Heaton after a strong start to his debut season at the club.

The second team’s match at Church was also stopped short by rain, but the result was a bygone conclusion in chase of 230.

After Manazer Mehmood’s 89 from 123 balls for the home side, Greenmount fell to 60 for 5 in reply and never looked like chasing the total.

Adam Clarke stood out with the ball, going for just 13 in his 7 overs and perhaps deserving a wicket, with leg-spinner Rupert Hallows collecting three wickets at the death.

In the second innings, Nigel Hallows top scored with 27 from 59. Sam Chadwick also got some welcome runs, unbeaten on 21 from 36 before the rain came.

Results put the first team into the second round of the cup and third in the league standings. The seconds sit fifth in their division, while the thirds move up to second.

More news from the Log Cabin...